Pictured: Ecola State Park, OR
Greetings! It has been a couple of months. Here’s what’s going on.
1. I’m doing the last touchups on my novel and my agent is going start sending it to editors in mid-May. I’m really proud of it, so regardless of whether someone wants to publish it, I feel like it was a great experience and I learned an incredible amount in the process. That said, let’s hope it gets picked up!
2. Spartan has a new online issue coming out April 1st, and our third print annual coming out mid-summer, coinciding with a release party in the works. Lots to look forward to. A few of our contributors have been having big years! Jodi Paloni, Donna Miscolta, and Paul Luikart all have books coming out. Allegra Hyde won the Iowa Story Prize. Jensen Beach had stories in the New Yorker and Paris Review. I can say I knew them when!
3. In the long pauses between novel edits, I’ve been working on short stories. I have four right now out on submission to literary journals and magazines. Fingers crossed they get published!
That’s all for now. Best wishes.
Pictured: Mirror Lake in Autumn.
Seasons greetings and happy new year! I have a few updates for you.
- My novel is done and with my agent. Fingers crossed it’s ready to sell and won’t need any more work!
- I’ve been invited to spend another year discussing contemporary short stories at the Ploughshares blog! You can see the list of what I’ve done so far here.
- Spartan’s winter issue is now live! You can check it out here.
Pictured: Mirror Lake, early fall.
It has been over a month since I’ve updated the blog! Here’s what’s going on.
1. My second child, August, was born at the end of September! He’s healthy and vigorous and sleeping about as much as you’d expect from a kiddo only a few weeks old. We’re smitten.
2. My Jack Straw fellowship is wrapping up this Saturday at the Downtown Library, with a reading at 2 pm. More details here. It has been a great experience, with interviews, training, and almost a dozen readings. I recommend that anyone apply.
3. Spartan hosted a reading for Lit Crawl Seattle, featuring contributors Jenny Hayes, Robert P. Kaye, M.C. Easton, and Ian Denning. Here’s an interview I gave promoting it.
4. I’m working on the second round of edits on my novel with my agent. It’s getting close. I’ll let you know once it’s ready. Meanwhile, I have a handful of stories out right now that I hope will get picked up by literary journals. I had a flash fiction piece picked up recently by Adroit Journal, and you can read it here. Also, I’ve now reviewed over 40 stories for the Ploughshares blog…tough to believe! There’s a cache of them here.