Pictured: Mirror Lake, early fall.
It has been over a month since I’ve updated the blog! Here’s what’s going on.
1. My second child, August, was born at the end of September! He’s healthy and vigorous and sleeping about as much as you’d expect from a kiddo only a few weeks old. We’re smitten.
2. My Jack Straw fellowship is wrapping up this Saturday at the Downtown Library, with a reading at 2 pm. More details here. It has been a great experience, with interviews, training, and almost a dozen readings. I recommend that anyone apply.
3. Spartan hosted a reading for Lit Crawl Seattle, featuring contributors Jenny Hayes, Robert P. Kaye, M.C. Easton, and Ian Denning. Here’s an interview I gave promoting it.
4. I’m working on the second round of edits on my novel with my agent. It’s getting close. I’ll let you know once it’s ready. Meanwhile, I have a handful of stories out right now that I hope will get picked up by literary journals. I had a flash fiction piece picked up recently by Adroit Journal, and you can read it here. Also, I’ve now reviewed over 40 stories for the Ploughshares blog…tough to believe! There’s a cache of them here.
Pictured: Shilshole Bay Marina.
Whew! Life is busy. Finally getting some updates going.
1. I’ve finished revising my novel, which was difficult but rewarding. My agent gave me great feedback, and I took it and ran with it, and I think the novel is much, much stronger as a result. The next step might be further editing, or it might be ready to sell…I’ll post when I hear news from her. Fingers crossed!
2. I’ve got a few readings coming up, all with the Jack Straw fellows: tomorrow night at the Rendevous, August 28th at University Bookstore, and Nov. 7th at Seattle Public Library! Also, Spartan is hosting a Seattle Lit Crawl reading on Oct. 22nd. More on those later.
3. Last but not least, my Ploughshares column is going strong! Check out all 30+ of my reviews here.
Pictured: Yakima River
It’s been over a month! A lot has happened. Here’s an update.
1. I read a few short pieces for the Dock Street Press Salon at Phinney Books with Big Fiction editor Heather Jacobs. It was a great time. You can read a review of it here.
2. I did a couple of Jack Straw Fellowship readings, one at the Jack Straw Studios and one for the Folklife Festival at Seattle Center with a few other of the fellows. Both were great experiences.
3. My longtime writing group partner Jodi Paloni signed on to have her short story collection published with Press 53! I’m over the moon for her. It’ll come out next March and I’ll post the details.
Here’s some stuff happening now or soon.
1. The summer issue of Spartan is live! Five stories that Miles Wray and I are very proud of. You can read them here.
2. My Ploughshares column has been going strong; as of this Saturday, I’ll be at 26!
3. I’m once again headed to the Tin House Writers Workshop in a couple of weeks. I’m getting the chance to work with Jim Shepard. Here’s one of the reasons why I’m stoked about that.
4. My novel is so very close to being done. I’m finishing up my agent’s edits and will send the revisions to her by the end of the month at the very latest.